BALTIMORE (October 31, 2016)
With the successful development of the foundational elements of the new ATSC 3.0 Broadcast Standard nearing completion, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: SBGI), and ONE Media 3.0, LLC, in an effort to further advance the competitive and commercial interests of the broadcast industry, are directing their attention to the next most critical aspects which are receiver design and cross platform user data collection.
Upon adoption of ATSC 3.0, a Next Gen Broadcast Platform, consumers will be able to integrate video content and data across numerous “smart” devices, enhancing their information and entertainment needs. With the proper technology and data gathering methodologies, which Sinclair and ONE Media 3.0 are developing, we expect to be able to capture significant and meaningful information relating to the consumer’s actual viewing and consumption behaviors. No longer will broadcasters have to depend on expensive third party measurement services with small sample sizes and questionable results.
The value of this captured data across all Next Gen-enabled devices and their users can be monetized in a number of ways. For the advertiser, it will provide a greater efficiency in spending with addressability and personalization. For the broadcaster, a greater efficiency in reaching and capitalizing on a larger advertising market is afforded. Additionally, we expect that the data will provide a means to significantly reduce or eliminate rating measurement expenses.
“This is about knowing the truth regarding who is watching, what they’re watching and when they’re watching,” commented David Smith, President & CEO of Sinclair. “Data gathering, measurement and behavior is too important for us not to have a reliable system and there is an immediacy to have this in place to coincide with the rollout of ATSC 3.0. Sinclair and ONE Media 3.0 intend to build it and make it available to the industry. We are currently working with device manufacturers and will shortly identify a test market in which to conduct live field trials.”
Sinclair is one of the largest and most diversified television broadcasting companies in the country. Including pending transactions, the Company owns, operates and/or provides services to 173 television stations in 81 markets, broadcasting 482 channels and having affiliations with all the major networks. Sinclair is the leading local news provider in the country, as well as a producer of live sports content. Sinclair’s content is delivered via multiple-platforms, including over-the-air, multi-channel video program distributors, and digital platforms. The Company regularly uses its website as a key source of Company information which can be accessed at www.sbgi.net.
About ONE Media 3.0, LLC:
ONE Media 3.0, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sinclair, was formed in 2016 for the purpose of developing business opportunities, products and services associated with the ATSC 3.0 “Next Generation” broadcast transmission standard and TV platform. ONE Media 3.0’s objectives include the planning and buildout of a Single Frequency Network; designing, developing and deploying a national Internet Protocol (IP) core network infrastructure; and the buildout of a user collection and measurement system.
RECENT NEWS RELEASES
- Sinclair Broadcast Group Partners with Renowned Pollster and Analyst Scott Rasmussen
- Sinclair Increases Quarterly Cash Dividend Per Share To $0.20
- Sinclair Reports Third Quarter 2018 Financial Results
- Sinclair Broadcast Group and The Salvation Army Encourage Relief Efforts for the Survivors of Hurricane Michael
- Sinclair Broadcast Group Taps Jukin Media to Operate ‘TBD’ Network
- Sinclair Names Pete Monfre General Manager in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Sinclair Executives to Discuss the Future of Television at NAB Show New York, President and CEO Chris Ripley to Serve as Keynote Speaker
- Sinclair To Report Third Quarter 2018 Results on November 7, 2018 at 7:30am (Eastern Time)
- Sinclair Broadcast Group and The Salvation Army Combine to Raise Over $230,000 for Victims of Hurricane Florence
- Sinclair Broadcast Group and The Salvation Army Partner to “Stand Strong For The Carolinas” Relief Fund