BALTIMORE (October 31, 2016)
With the successful development of the foundational elements of the new ATSC 3.0 Broadcast Standard nearing completion, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: SBGI), and ONE Media 3.0, LLC, in an effort to further advance the competitive and commercial interests of the broadcast industry, are directing their attention to the next most critical aspects which are receiver design and cross platform user data collection.
Upon adoption of ATSC 3.0, a Next Gen Broadcast Platform, consumers will be able to integrate video content and data across numerous “smart” devices, enhancing their information and entertainment needs. With the proper technology and data gathering methodologies, which Sinclair and ONE Media 3.0 are developing, we expect to be able to capture significant and meaningful information relating to the consumer’s actual viewing and consumption behaviors. No longer will broadcasters have to depend on expensive third party measurement services with small sample sizes and questionable results.
The value of this captured data across all Next Gen-enabled devices and their users can be monetized in a number of ways. For the advertiser, it will provide a greater efficiency in spending with addressability and personalization. For the broadcaster, a greater efficiency in reaching and capitalizing on a larger advertising market is afforded. Additionally, we expect that the data will provide a means to significantly reduce or eliminate rating measurement expenses.
“This is about knowing the truth regarding who is watching, what they’re watching and when they’re watching,” commented David Smith, President & CEO of Sinclair. “Data gathering, measurement and behavior is too important for us not to have a reliable system and there is an immediacy to have this in place to coincide with the rollout of ATSC 3.0. Sinclair and ONE Media 3.0 intend to build it and make it available to the industry. We are currently working with device manufacturers and will shortly identify a test market in which to conduct live field trials.”
Sinclair is one of the largest and most diversified television broadcasting companies in the country. Including pending transactions, the Company owns, operates and/or provides services to 173 television stations in 81 markets, broadcasting 482 channels and having affiliations with all the major networks. Sinclair is the leading local news provider in the country, as well as a producer of live sports content. Sinclair’s content is delivered via multiple-platforms, including over-the-air, multi-channel video program distributors, and digital platforms. The Company regularly uses its website as a key source of Company information which can be accessed at www.sbgi.net.
About ONE Media 3.0, LLC:
ONE Media 3.0, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sinclair, was formed in 2016 for the purpose of developing business opportunities, products and services associated with the ATSC 3.0 “Next Generation” broadcast transmission standard and TV platform. ONE Media 3.0’s objectives include the planning and buildout of a Single Frequency Network; designing, developing and deploying a national Internet Protocol (IP) core network infrastructure; and the buildout of a user collection and measurement system.
RECENT NEWS RELEASES
- Sinclair Promotes James Grilli to General Manager in Dayton, Ohio
- Sinclair Kicks Off 2017-2018 High School Sports Season
- Sinclair Broadcast Group Announces Expanded National Investigative Initiative
- Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and CBS Announce Affiliation Agreement Renewals
- Sinclair Raises Almost $1.35 Million For Hurricane Harvey Relief Effort, Donates $100,000
- Sinclair Closes On Acquisition Of Bonten Media Group Holdings, Inc.
- Sinclair Announces Affiliation Agreement Renewals With Fox Broadcasting Company In Five Markets
- Sinclair Cares Teams Up With The Salvation Army On Sinclair “Standing Strong For Texas” Relief Effort; Sinclair To Match First $100,000 Donated
- Sinclair Leverages Power Of Newsrooms Throughout The Country To Cover Historic Eclipse
- Sinclair Names Scott Ehrlich Vice President Of Emerging Platform Content